Re: [ARSCLIST] Writable CD/DVD - long reply

Writers are normally optimized (for vibration absorption, among other
things) for their maximum speed, and that is often treated as "best" after
factoring in maximum media speed. Unfortunately, as Mike and others have
pointed out, top CD speeds above 12X (DVD above 4X) can generate trash.
Lower speeds may or may not be better, depending on chassis resonances. Some
speeds may be even worse than the top speed, while others may be acceptable.
Drive manufacturers do not map this out, so the user is left with the
challenge of recording at each speed and then testing the result.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.