Re: [ARSCLIST] .wav file content information

Thanks !! I'll pass this on to the interested developers as well...

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Damien Moody
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 10:01 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] .wav file content information

If you're really interested, you can get a project started and posted on
SourceForge (www.sourceforge.net) for an open-source multi-media
metadata/archival project. Interested developers can contribute as they
have time and resources to do so.

Damien J. Moody
Information Technology Services
Library of Congress

>>> scottp@xxxxxxxxx 03/23/05 1:31 PM >>>

IMHO, in the end databases are absolutely the way to go. However, by
having both a file naming scheme to use with databases and perhaps
'pointer' information in the metadata, the both the files themselves and
the database information would be more useful. I'll pass any/all
comments on to the developers that have volunteering to look into this
for us. Needs to be K.I.S.S. for sure if we don't want to kill the goose
that lays the eggs though.

My thinking was just to suck a few good software developers in and make
a few simple tools available for general use at no / low cost. There
seems, if I read the posts here right, to be a real need for them. Yes,
they aren't hard to write, but fact is, no one is doing and releasing
them for folks outside their organizations to use. It would be a start.

Ultimately, I hope they (the developers) may see that there is an
unfilled need for commercial software to address the needs of the
archiving community, database driven but fully scaleable. The money
available and the size of the archives dictates that for such software
to see general use, it would need to work with several databases (Say,
Access, MySQL, Oracle) Access is cheap and available, but has issues,
particularly with 2+ Gb databases. Oracle is good for huge databases,
but expensive as heck. If a product could be written that allows for
common GUI and data formats in/out, but allowed different database
underpinnings, that would be great.