Re: [ARSCLIST] .wav file content information

Hello, John,

I think we have a really great dialogue going on here. I will elaborate on
the points, below.

At 12:40 PM 3/23/2005, John Spencer wrote:
Also, we've built these tools for our internal use, it's
certainly not that hard.

Right, but I think Scott addressed that and what we're trying to do here. Mounting heads and aligning tape machines isn't that hard for me, but lots of people don't do it themselves. Writing the software would be harder for me.

> I think the initial programming project was to provide a manual interface
> to the BWF metadata chunk, so that presented with a BWF file, the operator
> could read and modify the metadata.

How do you control the operator's authority to modify?  Should it be
controlled?  Will certain DAW applications overwrite the existing metadata
when the file is opened?

I think these tools are intended for smaller archives and people like me. Larger operations will require you to use the rigorous tools that they develop internally or purchase with rights management.

> It was my suggestion to add the import/export utility and to make it easily
> accessible by standard Microsoft/Open Office tools.

Agreed.  I think that is why you see a large "dose" of XML baked into the
latest Office flavors.

That is true--I haven't worked with that part of the latest Office all that much.

> I do think that there is a place for this. If entity A provides a bunch of
> BWF files to entity B, they could stand on their own w/o having the
> separate metadata files.

If entity A has 500GB of files and entity B would like to research them,
wouldn't a 500K database be an easier start?

That wasn't what I meant. Entity A (me) transfers files for Entity B (Sound Archive of Nowhere in Particular). I submit these files with author/title/whatever metadata in them. It's all tied together. The SA of NiP then ingests the files (essence and metadata) into their digital storage system.

The Sound Archive of Nowhere in Particular can also send some of these
files off to the Aboriginal Cultural Heritage Centre of Nowhere in
Particular without having to extract pieces of a database, etc.

> Also, putting metadata into the BWF on the data tape or storage system is
> the perfect long-term backup to the main data store. I did not see this as
> a search tool, but as part of an archive strategy and an interchange
strategy.

Agreed.  I was merely pointing out that if you have many data tapes, it is a
logistical nightmare to try and reload those tapes to update (1) common
field across all of the audio files.

Totally agreed. I see the type of metadata in the BWF file as more static/historic. The dynamic data--which, presumably, would be more specialized to your collection would live in your database only and not be written to the metadata chunk of the BWF files.

Richard L. Hess email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Vignettes Media web: http://www.richardhess.com/tape/ Aurora, Ontario, Canada (905) 713 6733 1-877-TAPE-FIX