Re: [ARSCLIST] 1937 disc recordings from the field

If it is possible for him, I think it would be great if postings of

Prentice, Will wrote:
Colleagues

The request for info below is copied with consent from the IASA list. Please
respond to the sender directly at ipngs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx as he's not an ARSC
list member.
Thanks

Will

Hello all,

There is a collection of aluminium discs recorded in Papua New Guinea in
1937. As I have a copy of the invoice, I know exactly what machine was
used: "VHANZ - Model F-29 Double Turntable Fairchild-Proctor Recorder",
supplied by Fairchild Aerial Camera Corporation (New York). The cost for
the recorder and a multitude of replacement parts was over USD 1500, which
must have been quite expensive at the time.

This was one of the first (if not THE first) collection made here using
microphones and a separate power supply. Although the expedition that used
it collapsed after only a month, 34 discs (10", 12", and mostly 16")
survive.

My questions: are any of you familiar with this company (Fairchild) or the
equipment used? Was the equipment at all common at this time? Were
aluminium discs a very popular medium for field work? There are more
questions, but first I'd like to find someone familiar with this.

Thanks for your help.

Don Niles
Head & Senior Ethnomusicologist
Music Department
Institute of Papua New Guinea Studies
P.O. Box 1432
Boroko 111
PAPUA NEW GUINEA

tel.:   [675] 325-4644
fax:    [675] 325-0531
email:  ipngs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

Help the British Library conserve the world's knowledge. Adopt a Book.
www.bl.uk/adoptabook

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.