Re: [ARSCLIST] Temperature Requirements for CDs and digital media

There is an ISO standard (ISO18925 2002) that does provide some general
recommendations. The following are taken directly from the standard:

Relative Humidity (RH) should be between 20 and 50%.

Cycling of RH should not be greater than plus/minus 10%

Maximum temperature for extended periods should not exceed 25 degrees C.

Temperatures below 23 degrees C are preferable.

Peak temperature should not exceed 32 degrees C.

Useful life will be increased by storing discs at low temperature and low
relative humidity, since chemical degradation is reduced at these
conditions. Storage of discs below   -10 degrees C and below 10% RH is not
recommended.
---------------

Note if storing discs at cool or cold temperatures, ensure they are
packaged correctly in order to avoid moisture condensation on the discs as
they warm up to use conditions.

Joe Iraci
Senior Conservation Scientist
Canadian Conservation Institute

             Christina
             Hostetter
             <chostetter@PRESS                                          To
             .ORG>                     ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Association for
             Recorded Sound                                        Subject
             Discussion List           [ARSCLIST] Temperature Requirements
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx         for CDs and digital media

             10/03/2005 11:04
             AM

             Please respond to
              Association for
              Recorded Sound
              Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

Can anyone tell me what, if any optimal conditions are required for CDs
and digital media?  I know there are specific temperature requirements
for magnetic media and film but I don't know if there are any conclusive
recommendations for digital formats.  Is there an answer to this
question?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Christina J. Hostetter
Archivist/Research Librarian