Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

Quoting Mike Richter <mrichter@xxxxxxx>:

Also, the maximum file size is a function of the operating system used, not
the processor. Anything that can use the FAT32 file system (available in any
32-bit version of Windows, which means 95 on up) can handle huge files
(don't recall the actual size, but it's a whole bunch of GB).

You may want to recheck your data. FAT32 is limited to 2 GB at best, I
understand. (1 GB in early versions, hence 1 GB maximum VOB size on
DVD-Video). For large files in Windows, NTFS is required.

Note, too, that it is not the OS but the filesystem which imposes the limit
in practice. Thus, one can run a FAT16 partition under XP - and one would
then be limited by FAT16, not by XP.

There are some issues, but what I understand is more complex than this.

There was a 2 GB barrier under Win95, I believe, but I've got some
external 40GB
hard drives that are FAT32 formatted, but I don't believe that you can format
drives that large in FAT32 under XP (an OS limitation), but you can attach it
to an XP computer.

Also, I believe that the new NAS discs from Maxtor are FAT32 at 250 GB.
I guess
this is to avoid an NTFS licensing fee. The serverette in the case is
running a
UNIX core of some flavour. I've been told if the severette in the drive box
breaks, you can pull the disc and put it in a standard computer to get
the data
off. (I'm sensitive to this because some of the early ethernet attached
storage
had proprietary formatting. Grrr).

I use the LaCie Ethernet Disk as my NAS/Server because it has XP
Embedded in it
and the discs are NTFS.

I don't know where the canonical source for this information is, I've been
gleaning it from various sources.

Cheers,

Richard

--