From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven C. Barr
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 4:06 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

Okeh, another thought for all...

The (western) world is apparently becoming overrun with "obsolete"
computers...
486's and Pentium I's, for example. Could these not be equipped with
large
HD's
(I've seen 160GB selling for Cdn$99) and simply used for archiving data?

Also, I think I once computed that the storage of every known 78 as
sound
files
(and I don't remember if I calculated .WAV files or a compressed format)
would
require about 3TB of space...or about 12 250GB drives (currently listing
around
Cdn$250 each), which could be on 6 "obsolete" machines, with six more as
backups (or 12 more?). Add another one running dBASE for metadata (dBASE
files
can be read by text editors!),

We save our archives and save space in our landfills!