Re: [ARSCLIST] Preservation project - quality criteria for CD-R discs

The French standard is better than nothing, but BLER is a poor quality
indicator. See http://www.mscience.com/longev.html for details. We find that
initial recorded quality, often related to the writer, and handling are very
important.

Archival grade media, whatever the format, should be regularly retested so
that degradation is detected early while the content is readable and can be
transferred to new media.

AudioDev, DATARIUS, and other professional testers are very expensive. Free
or inexpensive testers linked from http://www.mscience.com/free.html are
limited in scope but can be helpful.

DigiPress went out of business several years ago.

J. Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.