[ARSCLIST] Preservation project

Hi Folks,

We are launching a preservation project in collaboration with Harvard
University that some of you might find of interest. We welcome comments,
suggestions and questions, particularly from this group. Short
description below, in the press release-ese that I am obligated to use.

The Indiana University Archives of Traditional Music and the Archive of
World Music at Harvard University have been awarded a grant from the
National Endowment for the Humanities for a collaborative research and
development project designed to create best practices, examine existing
best practices and test emerging standards in the digital preservation
of critically endangered archival audio recordings. It is the
second-largest grant amount among the NEH's most recent awards for
research and development projects.

The "Sound Directions: Digital Preservation and Access for Global Audio
Heritage" project will:

1. Develop best practices and test emerging standards for audio
preservation in the digital domain;
2. Produce digital audio preservation packages that are
interoperable-that can be exchanged and read by each other's
preservation repositories;
3. Establish at each university digital audio preservation systems that
will enable this work to be carried into the future;
4. Preserve critically endangered, highly valuable, unique field
recordings of extraordinary national interest.

Project partners include the Indiana University Digital Library Program
and the Office for Information Systems at Harvard University.

To learn more about the Sound Directions project, or to send us
comments, go to http://www.dlib.indiana.edu/projects/sounddirections/.

Mike Casey
Coordinator of Recording Services
Archives of Traditional Music