Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio storage on external hard drives

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>

External hard drives are an implied new storage medium for audio files of
greater resolution that 44.1-16

Has anyone tested the stand-alone hard drive systems for longevity?  It
seems to me that, once again, there is a stampede toward an untested storage
medium because we want so badly for it to work.

We all have had near-death experiences with failing hard drives.  What makes
one that plugs in any less vulnerable?

There was a flurry of postings a while ago which included some from a person
who had been involved in manufacturing these.  I can't find a citation for
it but perhaps some reader can.

Some feel that putting the drive on a shelf rather than running it
continually will preserve it better.  Anyone ever hear stories about
low-mileage cars kept on blocks for a year or so?  They are a repair
facility's annuity.

If we have problems with magnetic media alone, why would the same technology
be successful if it is also dependent on moving parts.
<<<<<
The applicable question here would be "what dangers are there in storing a
hard drive
in non-operating status (including obsolesence). For example, I have a HD
stored
elsewhere which is an old RLL-format drive...which has info I could use, if
it is
still accessible and if there is any way to access it!

1) Do HD's deteriorate with age if not being used?

2) What are the chances a new method/format will replace the present one,
meaning
you would need a computer of the same vintage as the HD to access the data>