[ARSCLIST] History Detectives on PBS--Story Ideas

Here is a piece of correspondence that may interest some of you. If you can
help Ms. Castellanos, please refer to her directly.

Dear Kurt,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.  Indeed we are looking for stories
that involve an artifact or object that may be tied to an important event
in American History.  I kind of liken the story to Antique's Roadshow that
is much more elaborate and involved with a detective story twists and
turns.  Often the best stories come from people just like you who happen
to be very avid collectors!

I would appreciate any fanning of this story query to any appropriate
people or groups.

I'm curious about this cylinder that you wrote about.  What kind of
technology is that?  I have never heard of it before.

Many thanks, Tania Castellanos

-----Original Message----- From: Kurt Nauck [mailto:nauck@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 3:07 PM To: Tania Castellanos Subject: Re: History Detectives on PBS--Story Ideas

I would suppose the most enduring mysteries have to do with the whereabouts
(or existence) of the Buddy Bolden cylinder or the Lincoln Phonautograph
tracing.

But since you seem to be looking for mysteries about objects that are known
to exist, I suppose those wouldn't qualify.

There is a cylinder at the Belfer archive at Syracuse University that may
be a recording of Adelina Patti, a legendary opera singer. They haven't
played it yet, as they are working on developing a laser player so that
they can reproduce the sound without touching the groove.

Certainly, there are many questions collectors would like to have answered,
or recordings they would like to have identified. I might have some
interesting possibilities in my own collection - I would have to think
about it.

Would you like me to post your message to a couple of relevant internet
discussion groups?

"Tania Castellanos" <taniac@xxxxxxxxx>

Kurt & Diane Nauck

c/o Nauck's Vintage Records