Re: [ARSCLIST] Practicalities

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dale Francis" <dallen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >> a) this means that the artist has no control of the final product
> >
> > Correct. If compression is used, the mastering engineer has that
> > control, not the artist.
> the artist should have final approval of the product, in other words,
> they get to listen to and okay the final mastered version before it is
> duplicated or replicated.
Having been a "recording artist" on a couple of occasions, I can see
where this would create problems...especially now! Since a band can't
hear its actual sound onstage (we get the monitor mix if any, plus
all the echoes and a rather odd balance) they tend to try and
recreate the sound of hits in their genre...as they recall them
sounding, on whatever playback system they use! This might be
different for classical artists (I know nothing about that)
but is certainly true for pop artists.
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/