Re: [ARSCLIST] Practicalities

Hello David

On 21/01/05, David Lewiston wrote:
> Hello Don
>
> Unfortunately, your approach is the typical "audiophile" theoretical
> approach. Where are your recordings of gamelan? Where are your
> recordings of Tibetan rituals. Mine is practical musician's approach,
> a report from the trenches.

I did record some gamelan about 20 years ago, in analogue.

I think modern equipment has a much better dynamic range than what I was
using then.

Compression has side effects - that's why it is used in studios to make
percussion sound punchier. It can also be very useful for making speech
more intelligible.

I do not think it should be used when recording acoustic music.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx