Re: [ARSCLIST] NOA Audio

>Subject:     Re: [ARSCLIST] NOA Audio
>From:        Richard L. Hess, ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>To:          ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>That is good to hear. I have been wanting to evaluate their software
but
>haven't found the right project. I'm not sure it would help my free
lance
>transfer work, but I would be very interested in researching it more
for an
>audio archive.
>
>They seem to have thought out many of the challenges of transfers, and
the
>quality control aspects are very interesting.
>
>Joachim, do you find the quality control/quality assurance aspects of
the
>"looking for audio defects" in the program better in NOA than
Cube-Tech?

Cute-Tech generates a plethora of differenct XML files that should
assure quality control but only put redundant data with no meaning into
db files.

To my experience a "click" pattern recognition algorhythmn could not be
identified if it had its source in a malfuncitinal tape recording or in
a voice pattern.

Cube-Tec people always said that this is "setting" problem. To me all
the time it looked more a as "poor algorhythmn issue".

The algothrythms are still so bad.

And then this toy software oscilloscope in the UI that uses 85 percent
of processor power with no use at all - because you still need real
oscilloscopes and stereo meters.

In NAO systems you will have optical and colored patterns to judge and
evaluate your source and digitlization effort.

>That feature in itself is a very interesting one. I believe that NOA
is set
>up so one operator can ingest three sources at once.

The newer Cube-Tec systems (at phenomenal high price) pretend also to
be able to have three or four simultanous recording sources. I would
not dare to even test it.

>Note that the interfaces to hardware are somewhat limited. I think the
>Studer A820, A816, and A807 are supported. I'm not sure about the A812
or
>A810. This is partially the case because it reads European coded leader
>tape (there are apparently standards for Dolby encoded tape, etc.,
track
>configuration, etc)

What makes the NAO system so good for us here in Europe is the fact
that you still can uses Telefunken 15A tape recorders (still widely in
use here).
NAO seems to be very flexible to adopt to different sources if needed.
Contact them (Christoph Kummer) if have specific questions.

richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bye Joachim Polzer www.polzer.org