Re: [ARSCLIST] Small sound booth for transfers and restoration

Just a few comments regarding layout:

1.  Minimize the number of interconnects.  If you swap cables
    a lot to achieve a minimum number of connections, make sure
    the cables are easily accessible.

2.  What interconnects remain, keep them as short as possible

3.  Be sensitive to noise and hum by keeping power cables away
    from signal cables, or at least crossing at 90-degree angles.

4.  If you can afford dedicated power circuits for audio, that
    can help keep noise down.

5.  I prefer a linear flow (stage, clean, stage, transfer, stage),
    with staging areas flanking each major operation.  The staging
    areas are for: (a) records to be cleaned; (b) records to be
    transferred; (c) records to be re-packaged.

6.  Consider a microscope - I have a 150x stereo microscope
    hanging right over my turntable so that I can quickly measure
    groove width (with a calibrated reticle in the eyepiece), and
    check the condition of the grooves to select the right stylus
    more quickly.

Just some little things that can make a big difference.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
San Jose, California