Re: [ARSCLIST] Listening Test - was: Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

Hi Eric,

I will reply to your private e-mail shortly, but for now the public one.

I know an analog function generator does not produce music,
but it does produce a very repeatable signal for basic
listening tests, and as it is analog, it contains all the
harmonics that can affect timbre.

Just because it is "analog" does not mean it contains harmonics. If you are playing it through a loudspeaker and testing that output with a microphone, then there may be harmonics, but if you are simply generating a tone with the generator and it's direct wired into your testing equipment, then there won't be harmonics unless the device is designed to create harmonics intentionally. A sine wave isn't a sine wave if there are harmonics mixed with it.

At 10 kHz, the sine and triangle were not clearly differentiated
by their sound, but rather by their intensity or volume level.
The triangle being slightly louder than the sine.  The square
still had a distinct timbre to it that was different from the
sine and triangle.

Which disproves the issue of a 10 kHz square wave with 44.1 kHz sampling at 16-bits that you had originally written about. For the record, after receiving some clarification from Eric about the choice of the 10 kHz frequency after writing to him about a test I did, I tried the test with a 20 kHz sine wave and a 20 kHz square wave (I didn't try this particular test with a triangular wave). The 20 kHz square wave couldn't be reproduced by my pro ADC / DAC (RME-Audio PAD 96) at those settings, but could be at 96 kHz / 24-bit. The sine wave was fine at the lower digital resolution.

At 16 kHz, I could no longer differentiate the sine and triangle,
but I could still consistently pick out the square wave by its
intensity - but not by its timbre.

Yes, but could you hear a difference between the analog and the digital versions of those waves that you could hear?

To make things more interesting, we repeated the entire listening
exercise by monitoring the ADC-DAC output sampled at 88.2 kHz, and
the results were the same as the analog listening test!  There
may have been subtle differences in loudness and timbre between
analog and digital, but that wasn't the goal of this test.

Actually, I would have expected that it was part of the goal of the test since the original hypothesis posted on the list was that a 10 kHz square wave couldn't be properly sampled at 44.1 kHz 16-bit resolution.

However, at 44.1 kHz I had much more difficulty differentiating the
square wave at 10 kHz - but I still consistently could.

Did you try with frequencies slightly off from 10 kHz? Like 9,542 Hz as a random example? Just curious if that had any impact? You could also go above that 10 kHz if you think it's a matter of hearing limitations. You could do 10,458 Hz instead of 9,542 and see if you could differentiate it better or worse. The reason I propose this is that if there is an actual frequency or type of wave form that 44.1 kHz 16-bit can't reproduce properly, it's possible that it's mathematical and a slight variation could clarify that. For example, a sine wave at 22,050 Hz should be able to be sampled and reproduced by a 44.1 kHz 16-bit ADC DAC combination, but if it couldn't, then try 22,049 and see if that is better. Nyquist theory and all that jazz.

I could not tell the 10 kHz sine and triangle apart.  At 16 kHz I could no
longer differentiate the square wave from the triangle or the sine,
whereas I could at 88.2 kHz sampling.

That may be similar to not being able to distinguish something at 15 ips half track analog, but being able to distinguish it at 30 ips half track analog.

The most interesting conclusion for me from this experiment is that
the waveform clearly impacts the EQ.

That's one way to describe the effect you witnessed. I'd think it's not actually the "EQ" but a matter of the properties of the waveform. The reason it's a different waveform is the same reason it sounds different. Square waves do definitely have a different sound than a triangle wave or a sine wave.

If a non-sinusoidal wave or impulse has its waveform significantly altered
in the ADC-DAC chain, then the perceived loudness of those frequencies
will change as well, and hence the EQ!

Again, maybe not the EQ, but you are correct that their perceived loudness will change, which will change the overall combined sound.

Diamond Productions
Specializing in analog tape & film preservation / restoration in the
digital domain.
Dave Bradley   President