Re: [ARSCLIST] Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

>I used to hate CD's and their sound, but in recent years, they seem to
> sound better, so maybe mastering and manufacturing techniques have
> improved.  Of course, my hearing may have become "more forgiving" with
> age.  It all seems to be very subjective, sonically, from what I've been
> reading on the list.

The technology has definitely improved, but I also think that our ears are
becoming accustomed to listening to the sound of digital.
One of my teachers, Feedback Jack, made an interesting observation that one
reason that the Shure SM57 is such a popular microphone is that over the
years, the public has gotten used to the way that particular mic sounds on a
snare drum or guitar amp, and when we hear it, it sounds familiar.
-Matt Sohn