Re: [ARSCLIST] The state of cassette tape

"Careful" studies have one problem in that they are time-consuming, and
results are obsolete by the time they become available. Hard drives do have
one advantage in that SMART results are available to the user that can be
used to predict failure of the specific part. I am not aware of anything
similar for other forms of mass storage.

Predictability of longevity is difficult, if not impossible. At best, it is
statistical, and specific part can fail even when the population appears to
be quite good. Regular testing of archival media is a solution. It is not a
pleasant one, since it requires effort and expense, but searches for a
"magic bullet" will not be productive.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.