[ARSCLIST] The state of cassette tape

Folks,

I realize that there is no direct connection between the developing
Quantegy story and the state of 1/8" cassette tape, but it does get me
thinking--what is the state of the manufacturing and the longer term
prospects of cassette tape in the world today?

We deal with a lot of "oral history" materials and give advice to a lot
of people interested in "oral history."  Many people out there who come
to us for advice are befuddled and intimidated by digital recording
technology.  As a result, I tend to give them a few options in cassette
recorders.

When I'm asked, I generally tell people that I figure one should able to
obtain decent quality cassette tape for "Uh, at least the next--uh,
perhaps--five years.  Maybe.  Maybe longer even."

As for where that number comes from, I pretty much make it up.

I certainly feel like I'll be able to easily obtain cassettes after I
have to scrounge around to find 74 minute CD-Rs, and looooong after I'll
have to rely on Ebay to get MiniDiscs, but still...

Thanks,

andy

--
Andy Kolovos