Re: [ARSCLIST] Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy

On 14/01/05, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> I agree that analog master sources should be preserved, if only
> because the next generation of digital hardware may regard terabytes
> as small quantities...however, I tend to doubt that, if an existing
> analog sound source is converted to a digital file without any further
> processing, there exists anyone who can notice a difference?

Provided the equipment used is well engineered, that is probably true.

Conversions done in the 1980s are audibly inferior to conversions done
with current professional gear. It would not be a good idea to use a
current budget price computer sound card to do the conversion.

Bear in mind that any digital file has to be converted back to analog
before you can hear it, so the playback equipment has to be well
designed too. (But this is equally true of analog recordings.)

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx