Re: [ARSCLIST] Format conundrum

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Anonymous SET ARSCLIST DIGEST wrote:

> So, my question is really a request for a quick survey.  How many of you
would vote in favor of using CD-R alone, for a collection like ours, with
multiple copies being generated for long term preservation and access
purposes?  (Considering that we would like not to have to do another round
of reformatting for at least 30 years.)

I would suggest getting a copy of the IASA publication, "Guidelines on the
Production and Preservation of Digital Audio Objects."

In short, to answer your question...it depends on many considerations,
the frequency range of the recordings in your collection, your budget, the
availability of reliable mass storage (frequently being monitored and
refreshed=you have some control), etc.

To answer your question, if you are low budget, with recordings over 60
years old, no reliable mass storage...etc. I vote yes to a minimum of two
CDRs recorded on two different brands of discs, stored in two different
locations, with a program to review the condition of those CDRs at least
once a year.

Karl