Re: [ARSCLIST] If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a tape...

At 12:15 AM 1/9/2005 -0500, Steven C. Barr wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard L. Hess" <ArcLists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I would also caution that this writer's experience with cassette tapes and
> baking is that most squealing cassette tapes appear to be suffering from
> loss-of-lubricant (LoL) rather than the more common Sticky Shed Syndrome
> (SSS) that afflicts reel tapes.
> While LoL can affect reel tapes (I've seen it in Sony tape from the
1970s),
> SSS is more common. I have not actually seen a proven case of SSS in
> cassettes, while I have seen several instances of LoL. In fact, I just did
> an Ampex air-check cassette from the early 80s for a client that was LoL.
> was pretty sure, being Ampex, it would be SSS, but I was disappointed.
Quick question...how does one lubricate a noisy cassette? I suspect that
neither 3-In-1 or WD-40 would be advisable...

Steven,

There are several approaches, but http://www.lastfactory.com/ makes
commercially available tape head and tape lubricants that I use for the
purpose. In many LoL situations they need to be applied frequently. I'm
also using some experimental fluids that are more successful and
experimenting with other alternatives.

Reel tapes with LoL are sometimes playable with an Isopropyl "Drip" which
Marie O'Connell had great success with in New Zealand and now in
Mississippi. I think this has been discussed here at length. I haven't used
Isopropyl on cassettes yet because I haven't figured a way to do it without
annoying a Dragon and you know how ornery an annoyed Dragon can be!

Cheers,

Richard