[ARSCLIST] If I knew you were coming I'd've baked a tape...

I don't know much about this topic but I know it remains of interest here,
so I'm forwarding it.
Dick

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 01/08/2005 11:04 PM
-----

ChiaroscuroJazz@xxxxxxx
01/08/2005 12:45 PM

        To:     BruderJA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        cc:     ChiaroHank@xxxxxxx, dick@xxxxxxxx
        Subject:        FW: Analog: A Race Against Time

Hi Jay,
Hank forwarded your email to me. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any
info specifically about cassette tapes, but because of the plastic casing
and much smaller surface area than other tapes, I'd experiment first with
a cassette that you don't care that much about.  Otherwise, this piece by
Eddie Ciletti is about as in depth as any I know of on tape baking:
http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html

We've had great success with the baking process, and since this article
came out 10 years after we were already doing it, I use a small Farberware
convection oven (model T4850) that was recommended to me by Ampex at the
time. It works great!  I also hear that the Snackmaster Pro (shown in this
article) is wonderful too.  I bake most tapes (as many as six 1/4" reels
at a time) at 175 degrees for 3-4 hours.  I always try to slow wind them
first (always onto metal reels, not hubs), unless they are so gummy and
badly dried out that my 2-track machine can't even play them. Doing this
has always saved the tapes, but I've destroyed several heads and 2 entire
machines over the past 15+ years. (I'm currently using an Otari 5050, and
I'm sure I'll eventually ruin that too). If you need more info, there's no
greater authority than Wendy Carlos (whom Ciletti refers to in this
article).  She also happens to be a good friend of Hank's, so I'm sure he
could pick her brain further if you need him to.
In the meantime, I hope you're back home safely in the very near future.

Thanks and regards,
Jon Bates

Subj:
FW: Analog: A Race Against Time - Billboard August 28, 2004