Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex & Sticky Shed Syndrome

But wait! There's more!

Let us not forget  Karex! UGH - and dare I say that Kodak for a while sold
1" C tape (that I am almost positive they did not make) - and that tape was
really nasty too.

But I think that my nominee for the absolutely and most consistently worst
was the Memorex 1" Type B video tape. Now it takes allot to win such
notoriety - as most of you know, I have polished (directly or indirectly)
quite a pile of tape over the years - but that stuff is just horrendous.
Consistently bad - tape after tape after tape. The stuff smelled so bad I
had to air it out just so the smell didn't make me want to puke. Just
terrible stuff. I did a few for ABC once - some Barbara Walters stuff - oh
my. Just horrible. It took me forever to do those transfers.

I do agree with Peter - given enough time and the right (which means wrong)
environment - I have not seen a single manufacturer that over the years has
not had at least some product turn to goo.

jim

*
        Jim Lindner
*