Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex & Sticky Shed Syndrome

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Rollin' Recording wrote:

> I believe Shamrock Tape was b-stock from Ampex.  It was either "second tier"
> i.e. had some quality issues, or perhaps just overstock.

Oddly enough, I never have any trouble with Shamrock.

No doubt there is a web site somewhere but...
What about Irish tape...and then all of those radio shack wonders like
"Concert Tape." From my experience that was some of the worst I have ever
encountered. As a teenager, it was all I could afford. Some of the stock
was brown, other was black. The black stock, as I recall, appeared around
the same time as Scotch had its 206,  207? The Concert tape (black) was
the worst I have ever encountered.

And on the subject of bad tape...for many years, Ampex was on the contract
catalog for the State of Texas. I had already had so much trouble with it
I petitioned to buy another brand. I ended up getting Agfa...After a few
years...well, I had never seen tape ooze before.

Karl