Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

BLER is a good indicator of change occurring within the disc with
accelerated aging.  The way in which it changes with aging makes it a
useful tool compared to other parameters.  As Mr. Hartke has mentioned,
there are other quality indicators as well that should be examined since
BLER can occassionally be misleading.

I compare BLER to the folding endurance test that is used extensively in
the paper field.  The folding endurance test is very sensitive to changes
occurring with the paper, but the measurement does not allow you to
pinpoint the source of the changes.  I believe BLER compares to this very
well.  It is its senstivity to changes occurring in the disc that make it
useful.

Joe

             Jerome Hartke
             <jhartke@MSCIENCE
             .COM>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             Association for                                            cc
             Recorded Sound
             Discussion List                                       Subject
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx         Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

             13/12/2004 06:42
             PM

             Please respond to
              Association for
              Recorded Sound
              Discussion List
             <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx

I believe that Kodak and TDK may have published information long ago, but
that was all based on BLER. Other than that, Google would be a good option.

Jerry

As