[ARSCLIST] LP groove repair

I have a 1963 LP which has a deep gouge - it looks like the needle had been
dropped very hard, leaving a pit in the record that is 2.5 grooves wide.
Depending on how I set the anti-skate, I get one of two effects: (a) the
stylus skips and will not continue past the gouge or (b) the stylus jumps a
groove, skipping 1.8 seconds of music.  I've looked at the groove under a
150x microscope, and it appears that the gouge is 0.010" deep.  For the
really curious, I might try to photograph the damage.

Does anyone have any experience on how to span this gouge?  Any conservation
techniques for filling such damage just so to make the rest of the grooves
playable?  Or am I just outta luck on this one.  I have a steady hand and
good optics/magnification.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive
San Jose, California