Re: [ARSCLIST] Copyright Alert

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, James L Wolf wrote:

>    I don't know much about IRMA. From looking at their web site, it
> seems they count as members some non-US plants, but do they cover them
> all?

No, there are indeed some plants even in the US that would consider such a
project. However, I try to do everything by the book...so to speak.

 I can't see how it would be actually illegal for a pressing plant
> in Canada, or anywhere in Europe, to press the material you're talking
> about, since it is material that is PD in their countries, correct? At
> very least this is true for France.

That is true, no problem there...and as you also point out, it would
require a US copyright holder to take objection, yet there isn't, to the
best of my knowledge, no entity in the US that could claim copyright
ownership.

Then, as you also point out, there is the question of importing the
product for sale in the US.

I don't plan on giving up on the project, and sincerely welcome any
perspective.

For me, the fundamental issue is that there is a body of extant
recordings of concert broadcasts, many of which have substantive
historic value, that, due to the costs, cannot be made available to the
public...however small that audience might be...

When I can step back from my frustration and try and get some
perspective...it fascinates me how things have changed when orchestras
would make money with recordings contracts and broadcasts. It was a
different time...when not all of the standard literature had been
recorded. On the other hand, many of those orchestra players will donate
their time for a recording of chamber music, just so they can do the
literature they like and showcase their talents on an individual level.

Karl