[ARSCLIST] .mp3 and streaming

Folks,

I realize that the size of an .mp3 file will have an influence on the time
it takes to download and play the file.  What effect does file size have on
streaming--in particular streaming using a .m3u file?

My reason for asking is that we're about to put up some interview excerpt
audio on our website and I'm trying to weigh encoding rates v.s. file size
to come up with a good balance.  My instinct at this point is to err on the
side of file size to make it easier for all those folks in our communities
who don't have broadband access, and I'm thinking in terms of encoding
.mp3s at 24kbs/24kHz.  Although at this rate there is a noticeable
difference in sound quality between the .mp3 and the .wav, it isn't too bad
and the file size difference is enormous.

However, if file size isn't quite the concern it is with streaming as it is
with download, I'd rather boost the quality of the streamed file a bit.

Any thoughts or experiences more than welcome.

Thanks,

andy

Andy Kolovos
Archivist/Folklorist