Re: [ARSCLIST] Tape to use with reels when archiving

on 11/16/04 3:04 PM US/Central, Robert Brian Levy at xernaut11@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> when using leader tape with some old reels which I am digitizing to CDR, is
> it ok to use regular Scotch-type tape when attaching the leader tape to the
> reels?

No, the preferred splicing tape in the US is Quantegy #67, which is the
successor to 3M #67. See para. 62 on page 4-25 and 4-26 of the Sound
Recordings Procedures Manual published by the [US] National Archives and
Records Administration.

http://masterdigital.com/24bit/images/NARASndRcrdngsPrcdrsMan.pdf

Although somewhat out of date, this manual contains rigorous standards for
handling analog open reel tape. Even though the manual describes the
procedures when re-recording to 1/4" analog open reel tape, it doesn't cost
much more to handle your source tapes properly. You never know when you want
to use them again.

The mastic for other splicing tape (and especially ordinary Scotch tape) may
bleed over time.

Incidentally, type 67 splicing tape is considered to be removable, i.e.
non-permament.

Later. Parker

---
Parker Dinkins