From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Robert Brian Levy
Sent: dinsdag 16 november 2004 22:04
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Tape to use with reels when archiving

Hi folks,

A quick query:

when using leader tape with some old reels which I am digitizing to
CDR, is
it ok to use regular Scotch-type tape when attaching the leader tape
to the
reels?  More specifically, once the transfer is done, is it ok to
leave
said tape on the reels as they are placed back into storage?  Would
this
kind of tape off-gas or otherwise breakdown chemically over time in
such a
way as to have more deleterious effects on these precious reels than
some
kind of special splicing tape, and if so where might I acquire some?
(I
bought the leader tape off of e-bay for 20 bucks for 1500 ft of Scotch
(3M)
Leader Tape.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

   Brian Levy
(currently:)
Archiving Consultant to the Cherokee Heritage Center