I would not recommend prolonged storage of phonograph records in plastic bags.

Regards,

Duane Goldman

At 09:41 AM 10/24/2004 -0700, you wrote:
At 12:20 PM 10/24/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Helen Dearing" <HelDear@xxxxxxx>
> One of the members advised me to NOT use dish soap. He told me that it
could
> leave a damaging residue, not immediately recognized.  Helen
For institutional archival collections (most of the ARSCLIST members are
connected with such) this might, in fact, be true. However, they can afford
the expensive professional equipment and solutions needed for thorough and
absolutely residue-free cleaning. For the most part, dish soap can be used
if the LP's are well rinsed and dried with a soft, lint-free cloth.

A minor supplement, if I may:

The last rinse should be with distilled or at least demineralized water,
not with tap water. Adding a drop of Kodak Photoflo or a similar wetting
agent to that rinse is also recommended. In combination, they permit air
drying and in any event virtually eliminate the chance of residue in the
grooves from the cleaning process.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/

------ h. duane goldman, ph.d. | P.O. Box 37066 St. Louis, MO 63141 lagniappe chem. ltd. | (314) 205 1388 voice/fax "for the sound you thought you bought" | http://discdoc.com