Re: [ARSCLIST] 78 RECORDS MILDEW AND MOLD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Helen Dearing" <HelDear@xxxxxxx>
> One of the members advised me to NOT use dish soap. He told me that it
could
> leave a damaging residue, not immediately recognized.  Helen
For institutional archival collections (most of the ARSCLIST members are
connected with such) this might, in fact, be true. However, they can afford
the expensive professional equipment and solutions needed for thorough and
absolutely residue-free cleaning. For the most part, dish soap can be used
if the LP's are well rinsed and dried with a soft, lint-free cloth.

Since you enjoy listening to the records, your main worry will be wear...
so make sure you use a light cartridge n a modern turntable, and change
the stylus regularly (or have it checked for wear). Also, do not touch
the groove area when handling the discs, once they have been cleaned...
and the most important aspect of the storage is to keep the records
dust-free.

Unlike CD's, LP's are not absolutely noise-free, even in perfect
condition. I mention this because many folks used to CD's find any
noise bothersome at first.

Other than that, good luck...and check the web for sites which
detail the care and storage of vinyl discs.