[ARSCLIST] The development of recording technology

Esteemed archivists,
Since many of the folks on this list seem to have been around awhile, I
wanted to see if I could get some insight into a period before my time. From
what I know about the history of the industry, sometime in the late sixties
there was an explosion of independent record labels. Perhaps this explosion
happened earlier, I'm not sure. But there must have been a development in
technology that made recording music more democratic. Some transition from
the point when studio technicians wore lab coats and were highly skilled, to
the point when any entrepreneur seemed to be able to set up a recording
studio in his basement. What were these technological developments? I'm
curious about companies, makes and models of equipment, if possible.
Additionally, were there also developments in the technology of pressing
vinyl that made it more democratic? It seems like these two events happened
around the same time, and allowed for an incredible upswing in output by
tiny little homegrown labels. Any thoughts?
Thanks as always.
Rob Sevier