Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

Dear All,
    I have followed the progress of the discussion called "Gold CDs" right
up to the present day, and one factor still seems to me to have remained
unsaid.
    Whether one attempts to label CDs my means of Wave file-headers (of
which there are several types), or HTML, or even the MPEG7 standard (does
anyone know what happened to *that*?), one always needs *software*. And
there is always copyright in software (in some places, *permanent* copyright
in software!)  And this may force each future user to write his (or her) own
software, to circumvent problems when the copyright software is no longer
available.
    The only way I know to escape from this heffalump trap is to have a
spoken announcement (or announcements) on preservation audio CD-Rs. Then, so
long as the CD can be played as an audio storage medium, the information
about it can also be played. This was a policy I myself introduced to
circumvent all the "solutions" discussed on this thread, and it is still
being done. However, it is also fair to say that some preservation jobs were
so difficult to document that announcements might take longer than the
playing-time of the material! For this reason, the procedure has now evolved
into announcements sufficient to tie the transfer to the original recording,
and to the appropriate "archival" inlay-card in the event that discs and
cases become swopped.
    Nevertheless, having the gift of the gab myself, I should prefer the
whole information to be recorded using speech; but I can quite see that some
operational stuff may not be as loquacious as I.
Peter Copeland
Former Technical Manager, British Library Sound Archive