Re: [ARSCLIST] powder-like substance from open reel tapes

George:

If you refer back to my reply on 9/28, chemical analysis has been done on
the powder residue found on numerous magnetic tapes.  So long as it is not
flowering heads from fungus, does it truly make that much difference which
of the chemical results are obtained for one more sample?  The cleaning
methods found to be effective for all of the powder residues are similar.

Of course, it does make a difference if the residue is not one of the
identified "powders" and is actually oligomer from hydrolytic breakdown
"sticky shed".  This should be easy enough to test.  So long as the tape is
not acetate base, a sample reel can be baked in the standard fashion.
Baking does not do anything to improve tape with one of the "powder"
residues but it also does not do any harm other than slightly increase the
amount of residue on the tape surface.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983