Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

On 24/09/04, Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> As far as "archival" is concerned, on the Joint Commission, we've been
> trying to do something about putting a reasonable definition in the
> "Terms and Definitions" section of a number of AES, ANSI and ISO
> standards documents for years. Unfortunately, the response we've
> gotten has not been promising. Trying to define "archival" at this
> point impacts too many previously published documents and , frankly,
> has too many political ramifications in the industry for a "formal"
> definition to pass the standards voting process any time in the near
> future. This is why we have had to make do with phrases such as
> "medium-term life expectancy" and "extended-term life expectancy". You
> might notice that these phrases don't seem to have been picked up in
> advertising literature. Oh well, a consensus on what archival means
> when referring to media would be really nice and I'm certainly open to
> any suggestions on how we all could get such a definition into a
> published standard. Any ideas?

I would suggest the printed book as a model.

Books several centuries old are still in good condition today, with no
loss of information. So perhaps an expected life of 400 years or more in
dry storage?

The real question is how valid accelerated aging tests are.

A particular problem with digital media is the constant change in
materials and manufacturing methods.

Regards
--
Don Cox