Re: [ARSCLIST] Is recording to Reel-to-reel still the preferred preservation method?

Konrad....

I tend to agree with your statement below:
On the contrary. We need to abandon the concept of the carrier medium,
rather concentrate on a file-based storage system. It is true that when
there is only a single copy, analog tape is probably the best choice, but
the best way to ensure that a recording survives is to have multiple copies
stored in different locations. At this digital excels. The ease of
migration, easy creation of multiple copies, ease of transmission etc, are a
strong argument for the superiority of digital storage. Not to mention the
much lower cost.
I guess that was what I was trying to say in an earlier email responding to Duane "The Disk Doctor" Goldman and the CD vs. Vinyl (more like Analogue vs. Digital):
So, summing up, I guess your take on archival work and the CD vs Vinyl discussion all depends on your end product and purpose.

The only technical addendum I would make regarding our project is that we make three CD "masters" for the archive in addition to the copies that we send out to the various broadcasters and sell on the Family Theater Productions web site.  In addition, I keep the final .wav files on two separate hard drives which I will disconnect from my system once I finish the project (100 more shows to go).  So, we will migrate our productions to any future media in spite of changing technologies.  Oh, Duane, we won't be throwing any of our original disks and reel to reel tapes away; they still play beautifully in spite of the media flaws.
Now, while analogue sources seem to be with us for a while judging by our archives begun in 1947, and our transcriptions and tapes play beautifully, nothing lasts forever, so right now, for various reasons, we're making .wav files to be our protection and source of migration for the future.  Also, as I said before, we're making "improvements" (i.e., removing surface noise and click and pops), so our end product dictates that we continue in the digital realm.  If we wished to make archival "mirrors" of our masters, we might then consider reel to reel masters; our tape decks still make beautiful recordings.  The only other caveat is that if you're making tape dubs, you can end up adding more tape hiss background by going reel to reel.

All the Best,
Rod Stephens