Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

At 11:51 PM 9/28/2004 -0500, Brandon Burke wrote:
I understand what you're saying and agree--and perhaps I'm exposing an
ignorance of the field here--but it seems to me that the right information
embedded within the header would link the recording on the disc to its
proper case (and identity) either way.  No?

I'm afraid I don't understand what "header" you mean. (And yes, I did wade through all the prior posts of this thread retained below your question. *All* of them.)

If you mean the serial number printed in the clear area near the hub, then
the problem is its legibility. If you mean a code the archivist assigns,
then writes in that area for logging, that is a sufficient solution. It
would then be the key into the documentation and would serve exactly as a
label in all essentials: it is unique and correlated one-to-one with the
documentation. Since one cannot in practice record all relevant information
on the disc for visual access (though one can certainly put it into a file
on a data disc), some other form of documentation must be used and a unique
identifier - such as that code - will still be needed.

The case can also contain the documentation in paper form, but of course it
must also bear the unique identifier. In fact, the case is interchangable
with any other case, but becomes unique only because of the (coded)
documentation. Note that information used for filing, such as along the
visible edge of the jewel case in storage, is also part of the documentation.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/