Re: [ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Workstation--What would you build?

Miriam,

This is a pretty tall question.  You're likely to get many different opinions based on what everyone else uses. I personally stay away from anything Digidesign. This means ProTools in any form. There are less expensive alternatives that are faster and sound much better.  I would urge you to look into the Basic version of SAWStudio. SAWStudio is a very powerful, intuitive program that students grasp in no time. The Basic version is all most audio studios need.  http://www.sawstudio.com.   All of my multitracking and restoration work is done using SAWStudio.

With todays multitrack software, there is no need for a mixer in most cases.  It's helpful for sending monitor mixes.  But with SAWStudio for instance, monitor mixes can be send from the software in real time.
Your converters would be your main concern.  Berhinger's ADA8000's are getting a lot of attention right now.  They are converters with built in mic pre's.  And the price is right.  There's no need for a rack of outboard gear these days either.  Quality plug-ins are abundant.  Even some of the free VST plug-ins are excellent.

I would stay away from NS-10's when ever possible.  A more open speaker without the fatigue factor is a much better idea.  The smaller Genelecs have become standard in many small studios.  I'm actually partial to Tannoy Reveals.

There really is no need for a DAT machine or DA-88's unless you need them for transfers.  A good CD and/or DVD burner is a must.

This is what works for me!

Angie Dickinson
www.avocadoproductions.com