[ARSCLIST] Digital Audio Workstation--What would you build?

ARSC Colleagues--

I have been approached with the question of , "If you could have a Digital Audio Workstation, what would it have?

Well, I have to admit that I haven't set foot in a studio in about eight years and am honestly seeking opinions on what a small workstation for student use should consist of. I loved what we had in the studio I worked in, but the reality is that that would be absolute overkill. Of course, who wouldn't want a Mackie? Back then we also had 2- DA-88s, a DAT, a cd burner that burned at a whopping 4x, a rack of tape decks for real-time copying, our Otari reel to reel, We had several speakers inlcuding 2-NS 10Ms (actually still have those), the requesite patch bays, and I know other things that I can't seem to envision at the moment. Our software included Sound Forge and Pro Tools and something else I can't seem to remember.

I want to recommend a small system that is suitable for student use so they can get a grip on the basics. So, what would your workstation look like?

Of course, I was asked this morning and I have to come up with an idea by Friday.

Thanks in advance.

Miriam

-- Miriam Meislik Associate Archivist Photograph Curator Archives of Industrial Society 7500 Thomas Blvd. University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA 15260 (412)244-7075 voice (412)244-7077 fax miriam@xxxxxxxx

http://www.library.pitt.edu/libraries/archives/archives.html
http://digital.library.pitt.edu/pittsburgh/index.html
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
--Steven Wright

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter
--Harold Feinstein, November 11, 2001

Photography does not create eternity. . . it embalms time,
rescuing it simply from its proper corruption.
--André Bazin (1918–1958)