Re: [ARSCLIST] IDE RAID storage?

I'm a newbie on the list (first post) but have 'done' IT for quite a while.
IDE arrays work quite well and are in most cases easier to set up and manage
than their SCSI counterparts. RAID 5 should be more than sufficient for your
speed needs and will provide the redundancy you require. I don't recommend
Serial ATA, however as it can only address one device per channel. This will
be limiting if you're trying to build a very large RAID array. It
effectively halves the number of drives you can have on the array for a
given number of ports. SATA is also slightly more expensive. SATA RAID cards
do exist with 8 ports (and possibly more) so the single-drive-per-port
limitation may not be a functional hindrance if you want to go SATA.

IDE RAIDs are stable and perform reasonably. I would think one would perform
as well as a SCSI array for what you want. We use the 3ware Escalade 7500
card (around $250) for a RAID 5 array here and it's been a very good
performer. It isn't terribly fast on writes but is extremely fast on RAID
array rebuilds and on array reads vs. the Adaptec 2400 IDE RAID card. 3ware
now makes an 8 port SATA card but I'm not sure how it performs vs. the
Escalade. It is a 64 bit 66MHZ PCI card so it should have a distinct
performance advantage.

We don't use our array for audio (it's used for a database) so I can't tell
you how it'll perform for your application. How many users are you intending
to support?