Re: [ARSCLIST] Abraham Lincoln -- recording star???

----- Original Message -----
From: "robert wasserman" <wasserma2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Here's a thought, is it possible today to take these phonoautographs and
> scan and convert them to  digital waveforms, as seen in most editing
> programs, and now reproduce sound from them, albeit low resolution?
The "phonautographs" (if that term describes Scott't early results)
represent the tracing of motion of a diaphgrahm (sp?) reacting to the
sound waves. Since they are tracings of motion, made by scraping away
carbon black from a coated glass (or other clear base) surface, it
should be possible to figure out a way to transpose this picture of
a waveform into the sound thus represented...within the limits of the
accuracy of the tracing, How this could be done I gladly leave to the
resident experts...
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/