Fra: Michel Merten [mailto:Michel.Merten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sendt: 24. august 2004 09:16
Til: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Emne: Re: [ARSCLIST] ? about Burning CDs for archives

I used to work for years in the chemical business (polymers) and I remember of many high tech and demanding applications (injection moulding of medical parts, fine fibers, ...) for which even minor changes in the polymerisation reactor conditions on a specific supplier product line would impact the final quality of the finished good and make it improprer for use. (change of melt flow, or other physical parameters). So only a very few selected polymer suppliers were approved for specific applications and specific grade quality had to be always delivered according to most stringent controls (lot per lot analysis, treacibility, ...). When adding pigments this makes it even more difficult as getting proprer mixing within the polymer adds to the complexity.

Does anymoe has information on that aspect of the CD production process : polycarbonate grade selection, approval, lot treacabily at CD plants; it could also have implications in the "lot per lot" problems we sometimes notice  on the CD we buy.

Michel Merten
Sound Arts Group/Musica Numeris

Jerome Hartke <jhartke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

24/08/2004 00:14
Please respond to Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List