Re: [ARSCLIST] ? about Burning CDs for archives

CD-R discs are manufactured by injection-molding the 1.2 mm thick
polycarbonate substrate that contains a spiral pre-groove. The dye layer is
then spin-coated on the surface containing the pre-groove. A reflective
layer is then sputtered over the dye layer, and a thin protective layer is
spin-coated over the reflective layer.

"Color" in the polycarbonate layer relates to the visual part of the
spectrum, while the CD laser operates near 780 nm in the near-infrared.
Consequently, the visual properties of the polycarbonate are immaterial.
Modification of the infrared properties of the polycarbonate would degrade
the read/write capabilities of the disc, and is not done.

I do not pretend to be always right, but the above information is accurate,
as a bit of common-sense thought would confirm.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.