Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-l] "Isn't 50 years of copyright enough?" (copyright extens...

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, James L Wolf wrote:

> Can't argue with this. Certainly the only people making available most
> classic jazz, blues, country, etc. are either operating illegally in the
> US or are importing here from Europe. Funny how the law discriminates
> against small American businesses who want to reissue this stuff, but
> not against European businesses. Perhaps that point could persuade some
> Congress members, but probably not enough.

I am currently working on getting a pressing plant in the EU to
manufacture discs I plan to sell in the EU...some material which is public
domain in the EU but not in the US. It is material of marginal interest.
As a non-profit I can afford to issue it...since I do all the layout,
mastering, restoration, etc. and don't pay myself! The business that
presses my releases here in the US won't get any of that business, plus US
customers can buy it via the internet (even if it is not strictly legal),
but it will cost them more than if I could press and sell here in the US.
Of course I could also do all of my work here, rent computer space in the
EU, email my files, have them mounted there and then sell downloads from that
site.

When you try to negotiate with some of the majors a license for a US
release, in some instances, unless you are interested in a minimum of 10,000
copies they aren't interested in bothering with you.

Then there is IRMA...God bless them...the watchdogs of the industry. Yes
they do good work, however, I have one disc that was ready to press almost
a year ago...Before I can press I have to prove that the music by a
composer named Sarola (all the information I have) is still not under copyright.
Even the publisher of the music can't be found. You can spend far money on
finding a copyright owner, than you spend paying for the mechanical
rights.

With so many hoops to jump through, it amazes me that any small label can
get by.

Karl