Re: [ARSCLIST] Project Gramophone (was Re: Certification)

Just now reading and replying to this...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Noring" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> 2) Performance/recording data. Of course, this has to come from
>    standard discographical sources. The database will include entry of
>    this data when entering in label data. It is important to include
>    the source of the data, and even enter in conflicting data from
>    multiple sources (the database will keep track of the conflicting
>    data with authority information -- there's no need for us to try to
>    decide which authority is more "authoritative" so long as the
>    authority is well-regarded enough -- include both, and let future
>    researchers sort out the discrepencies. Having both raw transfers
>    and the label scans is almost as good as having the record in hand.)
In some cases, the question of entry accuracy can be easily established
according to which authority used primary sources (i.e. ledgers if they
still exist). However, in many cases personnel are guessed at (the facts
are unknown) since they were often not listed in primary sources...and
these are often still being argued!
> I'm getting closer to formally putting together a Steering Committee
> to finalize the Planning for Project Gramophone, along with governance
> and funding issues. I've talked to a few of you about this already,
> but if we've not talked, and you are interested in participating in
> the Steering Committee, please reply to me at jon@xxxxxxxxxxx . I am
> especially looking for experienced sound collection archivists, avid
> 78 record collectors, those who do professional transfers and sound
> restoration, musicologists, etc. It is hoped PrGram will work closely
> with established sound collection archives, to formalize the standards
> for digitizing sound recordings. It is hoped that everyone digitizing
> their own sound collections does it at the highest and most consistent
> quality so the merger of the digital transfers and associated metadata
> from the activities of various archives will be seamless.
What is the function of this group? I'd be glad to be part of it insofar
as what expertise I have could be of use...
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/