[ARSCLIST] Equalization curves and digitizing 78s.

Dear friends:

First, an apology if we've covered this ground before. I am interested in
digitizing copies of ethnic 78s dating from 1907 to the end of the 78 era.
I do not need to play them over a standard audio system. I intend to play
them quite infrequently, and directly into the computer's sound card when I
do play them. I have a powerful computer but will need to buy a 78-capable
turntable and any other hardware needed specifically for this project.

First question: exactly what do I have to do in hardware, and what might I
do in hardware or software? Obviously, I need a turntable. Second, I need a
pre-amp. I have seen very inexpensive ones (that presumably provide
"straight" amplication of the signal) I have seen other much more capable
units that not only amplify the signal, but also can control turnover and
rolloff, etc., etc. I have seen units such as the Owl 1 restoration module
that are inserted between the phono cartridge and the preamp, but may
perform some of the same functions as the high-end preamplifiers. Last, I
know that some software, such as Sound Forge, can itself "correct" for
equalization (but don't know how easy it is to use this feature, whether
it's as capable as a hardware option, etc.)

I'd appreciate any insights into choosing among this array of options,
specifically if folks have thoughts on the hardware vs. software question
in terms of capabilities, ease of use and cost.

Feel free to point me to an archived discussion if all this has been
covered before in this forum. A quick Google search didn't yield anything.

Best,

Joel Bresler

Joel Bresler 250 E. Emerson Rd. Lexington, MA 02420 USA

781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)
joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx