Re: [ARSCLIST] Anti-virus on workstations?

In my move to full-time I have purchased a dedicated 3GHz Dell which has no
virus protection on it.

On my current multi-use machine, a 2.4GHz Dell I have lost a few blocks of
audio on ingest (I'm not sure if it was a frame or what, but there was
missing audio).

Since I also run email on this machine, that means I need to run virus
protection and a spam filter (popfile) in the background.

Shutting down the email program freed up enough resources to avoid any
further problems, but I want to keep as many things off the ingest machine
as possible, especially as I move to more tracks.

I will continue the virus scan and the spam filter on my 2.4G machine, but
the 3G machine will be running bare on the ingest machine.

I will have all the machines networked together, but the connection to the
cable modem will be via a stateful firewall. Since there will be no
outbound traffic from the ingest machine, none can come in.

I will have a 450MHz PIII machine in the studio in case I want to check Web
mail or surf the Web while ingesting. Sometimes it's useful to do that to
get background information. It will also have an older/lighter version of
PhotoShop on it to do tray cards while ingesting.

The office machine may be the main output machine for burning CDs (again,
moving files across the network).

Cheers,

Richard