Re: [ARSCLIST] Certification (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders)

At 07:45 PM 7/20/2004 -0700, Richard L. Hess wrote:
Dear Richard (and list),

There seems to be an interesting dividing line between the straight
transfer and the cleaned (edited) copy.

I insist that the archives that I work with take two unprocessed transfers
and then I also provide (typically) two processed copies. Only the most
enlightened archives with good material seem to understand this.

Permit me a digression on a project which may be of interest to some here.

A few years ago, John Ardoin gave me what appears to be the last extant
copy of the master classes by Maria Callas at Juilliard. With substantial
effort, I prepared the 45 hours of material for CD-ROM release. My raw
capture, digitized to redbook standards, was preserved while I did what I
could with the dialogue (often off-mike), intrusions such as clumping
across the stage and diversions such as looking for another music stand.
One of my colleagues on the job then entered an objection: How will the
buyer know that you have thrown away only the bathwater. We discussed it
and I released a two-CD-ROM set. One volume, the student version, was my
best edit with such denoising as I could effect. The other, a scholar's
edition, was the raw capture. The first 500 copies were available only as
such pairs; so were the 500 sets I gave to NATS. Subsequently, the student
edition has been repressed a few times. I doubt that many copies of the
scholar disc are extant since they are of little use. The original tapes
are now at the LoC. If some day someone has a method for improving on what
I did, I will gladly provide a copy of the scholar's edition and, if there
is success, will assist in getting access to the tapes.

I have made such raw/final versions several times with unique material,
retaining the unedited copy after offering it to my source. Without
exception, those who had the material had no idea what they would do with
the raw material.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/